Seven Day Protect the Sea ChallengeApril 17, 2018
Everything we do makes a difference, good or bad. Some things people do are causing big problems for animals and where they live. Human impacts are the results of what happens when we don’t take care of the environment like all the plastics and garbage in the ocean. There are some things we can do to help make a good difference too. It’s spring time and we should all try to do this seven-day, Protect-the-Sea Challenge to help marine animals and their environments.
One part of the Pacific Ocean is called the Great Pacific Garbage Patch and it has about nine trillion tons of plastic garbage. The large area has a very big amount of plastics that will never go away on their own and are very dangerous for all the animals that live there. The garbage amount is growing and we all need to know how to make sure our garbage doesn’t end up there or in other waters. Even if you don’t live near the ocean, like me in Arizona, your garbage could end up in waters where animals live too. Everyone can make a difference, but if we all do this together it will make a very big difference.
Seven-Day, Protect-the-Sea Challenge
For a whole week do these things to help keep the oceans clean and safe for animals.
1. Walk or ride a bike to help keep pollution out of the air.
2. Instead of drinking water from a plastic water bottle, use a reusable bottle. This is very easy to do and you can refill your bottle all day. Even my school has a water refill station so we don’t throw plastic water bottles away every day.
3. Don’t use any plastic bags. Plastic shopping bags look like jellies in the water so animals eat them and get very sick. It’s easy to use reusable bags instead.
4. Use a reusable snack bag instead of plastic baggies. When you go on a picnic, bring food in containers you are not throwing away and will use again.
5. Don’t waste water by letting it run too long during a shower or while brushing your teeth. When you brush your teeth turn off the water.
If you do these things for a full week you will have already made a good difference. Keep doing them and tell your friends to help make a difference too and together we will all help the ocean stay clean!